Owners: Doug & Jane Alred
- 3931 Baymeadows Rd., Jacksonville, FL 32217 / (904) 731-3676
- 2018 San Marco Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32207 / (904) 399-8880
- 4870 Big Island Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32246 / (904) 620-9991
- 424 South 3rd Street, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250 / (904) 270-2221
- 2186 Park Avenue, Orange Park, FL 32073 / (904) 264-3767
- 1000 South Ponce De Leon Blvd., St. Augustine, FL 32084 / (904) 679-4237
Doug and Jane Alred met through the running community in Jacksonville, Florida, and decided that their passion for running seemed like a better and more exciting fit for their future than their careers at the time. Doug, a former CPA, and Jane, an occupational therapist, opened 1st Place Sports with a single run specialty door in 1978 in Jacksonville, Florida. With the help and support of the Jacksonville running community they have grown to six family owned locations, managing over 110 races a year, while always putting the community first. Whether it be timing races pro-bono, donating to local high school XC and track & field programs, supporting local race teams and athletes, and/or donating lightly used shoes to the community, you’ll always find Doug, Jane, and the 1st Place staff around town giving back in some way.
Doug and Jane’s passion for running and the community is apparent in so many ways, but is demonstrated time and time again through the staff’s commitment to the customers that walk through their doors or sign up for a race. They do everything it takes to ensure customers are treated as friends and family, thus including them in the running culture they have helped create in Jacksonville. Though I could continue to highlight the positive traits that 1st Place Sports possesses and the impact that Doug, Jane, and their staff have made in the Jacksonville running community, my suggestion is to experience it for yourself. Join them for a weekly run, sign up for race, and/or stop in to any of their six locations to look around and talk about running. I guarantee that their staff members will welcome you to the 1st Place Sports family with open arms.
"Though it possesses all the traditional aspects of a small run specialty shop, we are always willing to grow and change in order to maintain a high level of expertise and customer service that we pride ourselves on.”
Doug and Jane stand out front of their Flagship location which they themselves work out of every day. As you can see from the in-store photo of the Baymeadows location, they always do a great job of merchandising and making sure they have the newest and best products the industry has to offer.
Staff Kick Picks
Top 3 Runs
- Aardwolf Brewing Company: Wednesday @ 6:30 PM - 1461 Hendricks Ave, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
- 1st Place Sports Town Center: Monday @ 6:30 PM - 4870 Big Island Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32246
- Green Room Brewing: Wednesday @ 6:30 PM - 228 3rd St N, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
Post-run in Town
- Head over to V Pizza after the Aardwolf Brewing Company run for a slice of pizza or an entire pie for yourself and a drink.
- After the Town Center Run there are a bunch of options for food and drinks but the group favorite is Black Finn Ameripub for drinks and appetizers on their outdoor patio.
- Shadow Rep: Alex Luna
- Sales Rep: Nat Glackin
FOLLOW THEM ON SOCIAL!
By: Alex Luna, Saucony Shadow Rep