- 1811-A South Catalina Ave, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 / (310)-375-2626
The Village Runner was started the same year as the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. Having run locally in high school and college, I started working at the Village Runner in 1989 and in 1992, the then-owner decided to sell the store. Although, I was only 23, I was passionate about running and knew it would be a great opportunity to do what I love most. I was able to come up with the money to purchase the store by borrowing from family and friends. I purchased the store on August 1st, 1992 and it's been an amazing ride ever since.
"We pride ourselves on being a welcoming running store open to all abilities and while most of our employees are current or past collegiate and high school cross country and/or track runners, we also have casual runners among our crew too! The variety is great and makes our shop very approachable and relatable for both the serious runner as well as the novice."
For over 20 years, we've been producing the 4th of July 5K Run and the St. Patrick’s Day 5K Run (for over 15 years) in the South Bay. Both of these events have a kids’ dash for children that are 8 and under. The dashes have been responsible for introducing thousands of children to the positive aspects of running. We've even had some of those very kids grow up to race in high school and college and even join us at the Village Runner as employees! It's great to see the impact running has made in our community and we're proud to play a part of it. Throughout the years, we have donated over $150,000 to local schools and running programs.
We have a free weekly running group that gets together rain or shine every Tuesday night and Sunday morning and follow their run with dinner or breakfast together and some libations of course. Some of our running group has been running together for over 30 years! It's been a great way for people young and old, and new or experienced to running, to find their footing in the community, and a great way for people new to the area to make instant friendships and discover new places to run! WARNING: You may find yourself signing up for your first 5K, 10K, or even marathon or triathlon after running with our group. They are so encouraging and love helping people achieve new goals.
Staff Kick Picks
Staff Apparel Picks
TOP 3 RUNS
- The Strand - 811-A South Catalina Ave, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
- Malaga Cove Plaza - Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274
- Veteran's Parkway / Hermosa Valley Greenbelt / Wood Chip Trail - Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Post-run in Town
- Redondo Beach Brewing Company - 1814 S. Catalina Ave., Redondo Beach, CA90277
- Sack's on the Beach - 1611 S. Catalina Ave., Redondo Beach, CA 90277
- Manhattan Bread and Bagel - 1812 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
- Shadow Rep – Kevin Dean
- Sales Rep – Juan Escalera, Jr.
FOLLOW THEM ON SOCIAL!
- Facebook - www.facebook.com/VillageRunner
- Instagram - @villagerunner
By: Kevin Dean, Saucony Shadow Rep